The focus is on the analysis and solution of mobility problems in connection with logistics planning, i.e. the holistic analysis, designing and controlling of both, systems and processes (transport, handling, storage).
Location and route planning for logistics service providers
The alternative use of electric cargo bikes is particularly suitable for delivering or collecting shipments on the “last mile”. Due to lower storage capacity and range, adjustments are required in location and route planning.
For such applications, mathematical solution methods for optimising depot locations and delivery routes are applied and refined. In this way, the corresponding objectives and constraints, respectively, are not only described by distance, but also by energy consumption as well as battery charging procedures, because those are particularly relevant for battery electric vehicle.
Assistance systems for Cyclists and pedestrians
The special safety needs of “vulnerable road users” cyclists and pedestrians must not only be taken into account in municipal transport planning and controlling, but also in the development of individual assistance systems and its integration into intelligent transport systems. For this purpose, special solutions for cyclists and pedestrians are researched and developed, for example by means of Car2X technology.
Further topics of research and development
- Prediction and simulation models for the occupancy of car parking areas
- Occupancy recording and reservation of single car parking spots
- Methods for the ecological assessment of road traffic (CO2 emissions among others)
- Routing and navigation for pedestrians in urban areas
- Logistics planning for the regional online trade in economically underdeveloped rural areas