The focus is on the analysis und solution of mobility problems in connection with logistics planning, i.e. the holistic analysis, designing and controlling of both, systems and processes (transport, handling, storage).
Cyclists and pedestrians
The special safety needs of “vulnerable road users” cyclists and pedestrians must not only be taken into account in municipal transport planning and controlling, but also in the development of individual assistance systems and its integration into intelligent transport systems. For this purpose, special solutions for cyclists and pedestrians are researched and developed, for example by means of Car2X technology.
Sustainable logistics in urban commercial transport
The alternative use of relatively small and emission-free electric cargo bikes is particularly suitable for delivering or collecting shipments on the “last mile”. Due to lower storage capacity and range, adjustments are required both, in location planning and dimensioning of additional transshipment points (e.g. micro-deposits – ideally connected with neutral 24/7 self-service pick-up stations) as well as in route planning.
For that purpose, mathematical solution methods for optimising locations and routes are applied and refined. In this way, the corresponding objectives and constraints, respectively, are not only described by distance, but also by energy consumption as well as battery charging procedures, because those are particularly relevant for battery electric vehicle.
Further topics of research and development
- Routing and navigation for pedestrians in urban areas
- Occupancy recording and reservation of parking slots in urban areas
- Analysis and simulation of reduced maximum velocities (“speed limits”) of heavy duty vehicles on motorways (with regard to the effects on greenhouse gas emissions and transport costs)
- Logistics planning for the regional online trade in economically underdeveloped rural areas
- Feasibility studies on the potential future use of self-driving (“autonomous”) shuttle busses in suburban and rural areas